Monday, November 24, 2008

My Diabetic Diet

During my pregnancy with Ezra I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and it was a blessing, really! For the first time ever I dropped all of my pregnancy weight and it happened 2 weeks after delivering Ezra! Not only that but I also only gained 23 lbs (I basically lost weight the last 6 weeks of pregnancy). With Ben I gained 44 lbs and with Elijah 35 lbs and I never fully recovered from them...so now my goal is hopefully get to my pre-parenthood weight! I don't usually like to share my weight (naturally, does any girl?) but I have been pleased with my unexpected changes and now feel Ike my goals really are possible. I now weigh 159 and wear a size 12, my goal is to get down to 135 (I will settle for 140) and wear a size 8...........I hope my body hasn't changed too much, I know I will never wear a size 6 again! I have pretty much plateaued since Ezra's 1 month checkup - he is now 3 months. Since he was born the plan was to stick to the diet and slowly but surely I have veered from that and polluted my body with sweet, delicious, tasty, sugary treats! Therefore the diet has stopped working wonders for me, Ugh! Guess I am gonna have to actually work at this, nothing comes easy, at least not for long! Well, I still refuse to buy a scale so I will just continue to weigh myself at Ezra's well check-ups...the next one is Dec 27. Some of you have asked for the diabetic diet plan that I followed so here it
is:

Breakfast---------- 1 Carb(dairy/milk) 2 Protein 2 Fat

ie: Cheese omelet(1 whole+ 1 egg white) with 1 oz cheese melted on top cooked in a little butter plus 1 cup of milk........turkey bacon/sausage are a good protein if you get tired of eggs

Morning Snack---- 1 Carb 1 Protein

ie: 2 tsp peanut butter with 4-6 low sodium crackers and water...or 1 cup light yogurt + 3 graham cracker squares....or 1 oz cheese (I liked string cheese sticks) with Kashi crackers

Lunch-------------- Carb(2 bread, 1 fruit, 1 dairy, 1 veggie) 2 Protein 1 Fat

ie: Sandwich with 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, 1oz lunch meat, 1 slice of cheese( I liked provolone) ,1 tsp mayo (mustard is free) 1 cup raw carrots, 1apple and ice tea/water......or a chef's salad with a whole wheat roll 15 grapes and milk/water

Afternoon Snack-- 1 Protein 1 Fruit

ie: 2 tsp peanut butter and an apple....or 1/2 c. cottage cheese and peaches (1/2 c. if canned)...or a handful of almonds and an orange

Dinner-------------- Carb(2 bread, 1 fruit, 1 milk, 1 veggie) 2 Protein 1 Fat

ie: 1 Chicken breast, small baked potato with 1 tsp. butter and 1T. light sour cream, 1/2-1 c. cooked broccoli, 1 small dinner roll, 1 med banana, 1 c. milk.....or 1/2 c.cooked spaghetti with 2/3 c. spaghetti sauce with ground turkey, 1 oz fresh grated Parmesan cheese + small side salad and fat free dressing, 3/4 c. mandarin oranges, milk/water/decaf coffee/tea

Evening Snack----- 1 Carb 1 Protein

ie: same as afternoon snack.....sometimes I ate 2/3c. Kashi cereal with 1c. skim milk...and sometimes even 1 scoop vanilla bean ice cream with a little drizzle of melted peanut butter! I warn you though...it is hard to eat only 1 scoop, it is almost torture!

ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF THE COMBOS AND THE TIMING--EAT EVERY 2-3 HOURS--IT'S A CINCH!

No comments: