Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MLK Jr. Day

So yesterday, MLK Jr. Day did not go as planned for me. I was hoping to look up his "I have a Dream" speech and reading it to Ben. We slept in...or rather, I tried to sleep in but the boys almost always wake up by 6:30 am so I stayed in bed and fed Ezra while Ben and Elijah ate cereal (I LOVE that Ben can help that way!) and realized as they ran thru the house screeching and throwing bouncy balls against closed doors that it wasn't going to start off as a peaceful morning. So I growled...I mean crawled out of Bed and began my daily chores and at one point as I was trying to hurry along to get on to more important and enjoyable tasks Ben told me that he wanted to "explode"! When asked why, he said because MLK Jr. day was suppose to be a "day of peace". I told him that I had to get some of the "normal" things done and asked if he thought that I like to do all the cleaning and picking up after anyone in the house who think that it is ok to leave messes and he expressed that yes (in a little cocky manner) he thinks that I would rather do house work instead of playing games with the boys and allow them to do whatever they choose on this great Day of Peace!!! Hahahahah, so being the kind of dramatic mother I am, after an exchange of words ("oh, you think I just LOVE to clean up after laziness, that I would RATHER fill my day with chores instead of having PEACE???? You think this is fun for me, well, you can see just how FUN it really is!!!) I taught him how to do my chores! Along with his own chores (Trash, feed/water his mouse, recycling, and cleaning his bedroom) he did: Dishes--Swept/Vacuumed floors--Washed Floors by hand (we have wood laminate throughout, and yes, I do it that way myself)/ Fed and Watered the Dogs--started and switched loads of Laundry---didn't even get to the folding, lucky boy! That's all we could get to...I liked it, he said! Little Stinker...I explained to him how much he would grow tired of doing most of those things day in day out and that HE didn't even do everything that I do daily, like the cooking (he offered to make us cinnamon/honey toast for lunch:) grocery planning and shopping, childcare and the list goes on! All that and I'm not sure that my point really came across, besides the Day of Peace ultimately became a Day of Service! I guess we accomplished exactly what we needed to........and it definitely was not peaceful and more service on my part than expected since I added the chore of teaching chores, oh what a chore!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I can just picture the reaction when Ben said "yes". Side note...he has a pet mouse?